Craft Breweries/Microbrewery in general deal with a lot of the same hazards, just on different scales and in turn use many of the same forms of PPE. It include Neoprene based or heavy duty gloves that are rated for use with corrosive and/or acutely toxic chemicals. Ear plugs for helping to protect workers from noise. Safety glasses and face shields to help protect workers eyes and faces. Respirators for use in a respiratory program, or dust masks for optional use when milling or weighing out hops.
If identified hazards that cannot be eliminated, engineered out or maintained through administrative controls, must be made safest with the use of proper PPE.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) refers to protective clothing, helmets, goggles, or other garments or equipment designed to protect the wearer’s body from injury or infection. The hazards addressed by protective equipment include physical, electrical, heat, chemicals, biohazards, and airborne particulate matter.
I’ve seen many safety related problems at various projects in various parts of India due to unavailability of PPEs
1. There are no neoprene chemical resistant due due which operators are having chemical as well as caustic burns on their hands.And next day they are coming with open wounded hands ,which is a source of contamination to the beer. More on than he himself can not deliver his work in an efficient way.
2. There are no safety shoes due to which their feet are unprotected from hot water,rinsed chemical after CIP and it causes again wounds on their feet. Again open wounds are source of contamination.
3. Face shields are also not present to save their face from chemical spillage
4. Fumes of caustic and nitric acid are very hazardous for human being and for that we also require nose masks.
5. There are no ear plugs which which can be used at the time of milling operations.
6. There is no first aid box.
Kindly provide them required PPEs so that they can Brew in a safe , efficient , zero accidents and with cent percent occupational health and safety.